Tablet and Ereader Backlight and Your Health
Ereader Backlight and Your Health
Originally Posted on: February 20, 2011
Some ereaders use back lit displays, while others use e-ink. Most of us know that this effects reading quality. Most of us also know that e-ink means you can read on the beach with the glare of the sun making life impossible for you. Most people also agree that e-ink is a more soothing experience. Yet, there’s another very important item to add to the mix – your health.
Evidence has clearly shown that the bright light from a computer or television stimulates you, as would a cup of coffee. Reading with the use of a backlight rather than on an e-ink based ereader has the same effect. While this may not be a problem during the day, a great many of us like to read before bed. This is where the problems come in. The backlight stimulates your metabolism at the exact time you want to be winding it down for sleep. The result is of course, a less deep sleep. Imagine damaging your sleep this way daily. While there are some things that mitigate this (such as the f.lux application that adjusts screen color according to time of day), the best option is to go with e-ink and avoid the backlight altogether.
Insufficient or irregular sleep can:
- Weaken your immune system
- Speed up the growth of tumors. (Tumors grow 2-3 times faster in laboratory test animals with severe sleep dysfunctions.)
- Making you feel hungry even if you’ve already eaten, causing weight problems to get worse.
- Decrease your memory (even a night of bad sleep can dramatically lower your mental functions).
- Impair your physical and mental performance
- Cause depression or other mental problems
- Increase the risk of heart disease
The whole list is probably unnecessary. We all know that proper and sufficient sleep is one of the most vital components to our overall health. It makes little sense to do something at night that prevents us from getting proper sleep, especially when there few apparent benefits. Ereaders that use e-ink allow us to get in out bedtime reading without being destructive to the sleep that comes afterward (and ultimately destructive to our health). With color e-ink coming out, this should be an easy choice for an ereader to make.